NEW POTENTIAL IN FASHIONWEAR!
ATLANTIC LEATHER IS THE FIRST – AND IN FACT THE ONLY – COMPANY IN THE WORLD TO FIND A WAY TO MAKE FISH LEATHER THAT CAN BE WASHED IN A WASHING MACHINE. WASHABLE MEANS THAT THE COLOR AND SOFTNESS OF THE LEATHER IS NOT AFFECTED BY A MACHINE WASH AT 30°C DEGREES (86° FARENHEIT). FASHION DESIGNERS HAVE LONG BEEN INTERESTED IN USING FISH LEATHER AS A DECORATIVE FEATURE ON GARMENTS, BUT UNTIL NOW THAT HAS MEANT THAT THE GARMENT REQUIRED DRY CLEANING – OR, MORE SPECIFICALLY, SPECIALIST LEATHER CLEANING. THAT CAN BOTH BE TIME-CONSUMING AND EXPENSIVE FOR THE CUSTOMER. WITH WASHABLE SALMON LEATHER, ALL THAT IS A THING OF THE PAST.
WASHABLE SALMON LEATHER OPENS UP NEW POSSIBILITIES FOR THE USE OF FISH LEATHER, ESPECIALLY IN FASHION DESIGN AND PRODUCTION. ATLANTIC LEATHER HAS BEEN OFFERING WASHABLE SALMON LEATHER SINCE 2009, AND DESIGNERS AND USERS ARE VERY HAPPY WITH THE RESULTS.
- Length and width: Hides of wolffish are 60 to 70 cm long and 14 to 20 cm at the widest point.
- Size: Sizes are measured in square feet. Average size 1.1 square foot.
- Thickness: 0.4 to 0.8 mm.
- Tear strength: 50 - 60 Newtons
- Heat resistance: 70 - 80° C
- Colors: Wolffish leather can be colored in a wide range of tones. The very lightest and brightest colors, like those offered for salmon leather, are not available in wolffish leather, and as of yet it is not available in white.
- Texture: Unlike salmon, perch and cod, the wolffish skin is not scaly and has a smooth surface.
- Finishes: A wide range of finishes are available. Atlantic Leather can now offer nearly fifty different finishes.
- Origin: The wolffish is a demersal (deep-sea) species, which is caught for human consumption in the seas off the coast Iceland. Atlantic Leather sources its wolffish skins from Icelandic fishing companies.