WOLFFISH LEATHER - SMOOTH AND SPOTTED!
THE ONLY FISH LEATHER WITH A SMOOTH SURFACE, WOLFFISH LEATHER HAS A SPOTTED PATTERN THAT LENDS IT A UNIQUE CHARACTER. THE WOLFFISH IS A DEEP SEA FISH - MOSTLY LINGERING AT THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA - CAUGHT FOR FOOD IN THE FISHING GROUNDS AROUND ICELAND. WE ARE PROUD TO BE THE ONLY COMPANY IN THE WORLD THAT MAKES WOLFFISH LEATHER! WOLFFISH HAS TWO STRIKING CHARACTERISTICS, EITHER OF WHICH WOULD MAKE IT UNIQUE: YOU CANNOT MISS THE DARK SPOTTED PATTERN OF THE SKIN, AND WOLFFISH IS ALSO THE ONLY SCALELESS, SMOOTH FISH LEATHER. WHATEVER THE COLOR FINISH, THE SPOTTED PATTERN OF WOLFFISH LEATHER ALWAYS SHINES THROUGH – EXCEPT OF COURSE, IN BLACK.
- Length and width: Hides of wolffish are 60 to 70 cm long and 14 to 20 cm at the widest point.
- Size: Sizes are measured in square feet. Average size 1.1 square foot.
- Thickness: 0.4 to 0.8 mm.
- Tear strength: 50 - 60 Newtons
- Heat resistance: 70 - 80° C
- Colors: Wolffish leather can be colored in a wide range of tones. The very lightest and brightest colors, like those offered for salmon leather, are not available in wolffish leather, and as of yet it is not available in white.
- Texture: Unlike salmon, perch and cod, the wolffish skin is not scaly and has a smooth surface.
- Finishes: A wide range of finishes are available. Atlantic Leather can now offer nearly fifty different finishes.
- Origin: The wolffish is a demersal (deep-sea) species, which is caught for human consumption in the seas off the coast Iceland. Atlantic Leather sources its wolffish skins from Icelandic fishing companies.